Selasa, 05 Maret 2013
Tower of Pisa
Tower of Pisa
Leaning Tower of Pisa (in Italian: Torre pendente di Pisa) or commonly known as the Tower of Pisa (La Torre di Pisa) is the bell tower of the cathedral in Pisa, Italy. The tower is located behind the cathedral and is the third structure in the Campo dei Miracoli (miracle) Pisa.
Although the original plan built vertically, the tower began leaning to the southeast soon after construction in 1173, due to an imperfect foundation.
The height of the tower is 55.86 km from the ground on the lowest side and 56.70 m on the highest side. The width of the building's base is 4.09 m and the width of the peak is 2.48 m. Weight of the tower is estimated at 14,500 tons and has 294 steps.
Construction of the Tower of Pisa was built in three stages over a period of about 200 years. Construction of the first floor of the white marble began on August 9, 1173, the period of military success and prosperity. The first floor is surrounded by pillars and despite some oblique position, but still hold on for centuries.
There is controversy about the identity of the architect of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Over the years, the design was attributed to Guglielmo and Bonanno Pisano, a well-known local artist in the 12th century, famous for his bronze casting, particularly in the Pisa Duomo.
Bonanno Pisano left Pisa in 1185 and moved to Palermo, Sicilia, but then come back and die in his homeland that. His grave was found at the base of the tower in 1820.
The tower was first slash after the third floor was built in the year 1178, due to the sinking of three-meter foundation, unstable subsoil. This means that the design of the tower has been flawed from the beginning.
Construction halted for almost a century, because the Pisans were almost continually engaged in battles with Genoa, Lucca and Florence. During the period of 'rest', the structure of the underlying soil has been stabilized. And in 1198, temporarily installed at the building is still not finished it.
In 1272, the building was continued by Giovanni di Simone, architect of Camposanto. The fourth floor was built to compensate for the slope of the tower. Rebuilding discontinued in 1284, when the Pisans were defeated by Genoa in the Battle of Meloria.
Construction of the bell tower was not completed until 1372 stalled. After that, Tommaso di Andrea Pisano successfully completed the Gothic elements of the tower, with a touch of style Rome. There are seven bells in the tower, each of which represents not the tone. Biggest bell was installed in 1655.